There are lots of different products available to help clear pipes and maintain a good flow of water and waste. Most use some powerful ingredients and this means that caution should always be used when working with them. One example is chlorus spray – but what is it and how can it be used?
What is chlorus spray?
Chlorus spray is a specialist pipe cleaning product that is used alongside chlorine disinfection tablets in order to clean pipes and restore a good flow. It can
sometimes be found in tablet form as well as in a spray.
The chlorus spray uses chlorous acid, defined as a weak acid that comes from chlorine, the substance used in swimming pools. Chlorine is used because it is an effective disinfectant that kills bacteria and viruses and is commonly used in the water industry for a wide range of applications.
How to use it
Chlorus sprays and chlorine tablets are used for a variety of reasons around the home and commercial water pipes. The powerful nature of these products is ideal for eliminating slime bacteria, algae and mould and therefore reducing the risk that there is an infection of the drinking water in the associated property.
The development of organic bacterial communities is a health risk that can affect any property and can lead to a larger public health risk. That’s why people often have experts use these products to clean their pipe system and ensure that their property and its connection to the mains network isn’t the source of a major outbreak.
The process can also help remove any dirt or debris that accumulates in the pipes. This has the added advantage of ensuring that the pipes don’t become blocked, a situation that most commonly leads to a leak or even a burst pipe. If there is a suspected leak or blockage already in the system, then it is best to isolate this first and have it dealt with before the chlorine treatment is used to remove any remaining debris and prevent the growth of any bacteria around the leak location.
Health and safety
Chlorine based products such as chlorus spray and disinfection tablets need to be handled with care. Personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used to protect the skin and nitrite rubber gloves and goggles are also required.
If the skin is splashed with any of these products, you should rinse it well with cold water to ensure the chemical is removed. If it splashes onto clothing, these should be removed to avoid it coming into contact with the skin. If in doubt, seek medical advice. Should the chemicals reach the eye, the immediate medical attention should be sought once a large amount of water has been washed around the area, including keeping the eye open by hand to ensure the chemical is removed.
Chlorus spray and chlorine disinfection tablets are strong and effective ways to cleanse your water pipes and ensure that no hazards are accumulating. Although effective, from a health and safety perspective it’s best to leave the use of chloride to the professionals’.